So even though I only just finished my college program, Disney has already made a few changes, which means some information in previous posts is outdated. I figured I’d remedy that here with a few main points.
- Disney now provides in-apartment wifi. In my packing post I said that they didn’t; at the start of my program, this was true. About halfway through, Disney banned personal routers and installed company wifi in all the complexes. Unfortunately, I’ve heard that it’s inconsistent, but that may be fixed within a few weeks.
- CP’s are no longer allowed to give away shifts. This was definitely the most controversial change, and it was put into place because some CP’s would give away all their shifts and pay rent out of pocket. Basically, you can trade a shift for another shift, but you can’t give something away to have the day off. This guarantees that all CP’s will work at least five days a week (except in cases of leader-approved ADO’s…which are still an option…or call-ins). You can get a leader-approved ADO by putting in a request in the Hub 3 weeks in advance, or you can do it the day of (also through the Hub).
- You can buy a parking pass in advance. I heard this was because parking has become so limited, but I’m not sure if that’s true. Regardless, you can do that now, I believe when you get your DORMS paperwork.
- You find out your location in advance. During my program, you knew your role when you got accepted, and you found out your location at Casting on day 1 or day 2. As of spring 2017, your location is listed on your itinerary, as is your Traditions date.
Disney changes things all the time so I’ll update as needed! Fall 2017 applications just opened this week, so if you have any questions, please feel free to comment below or message me on my Tumblr!
Song of the day: Where You Are // Moana
So post-Disney depression is in full swing (they told me this would happen, they really did and it still sucks). I’m a passholder but it’s hard for me to go all the time so I’m kind of tiding myself over with a Disney tag! Feel free to copy the template for your own Disney blog. 🙂
- Favorite Disney movie: either The Little Mermaid or Tangled, they’re both my favorites!
- Walt Disney World or Disneyland: I’ve never been to Disneyland but I grew up in WDW so I feel like DLR just would never quite come close to me.
- Favorite Disney character: Moana!
- First Disney movie you remember seeing in theatres: Monsters, Inc. I know it’s Pixar but still.
- What type of Disney item do you collect the most?: definitely mouse ears. I have the basic sequin Minnie ears, a “class of 2015” cap from my high school graduation, my Traditions cap, my DCP graduation cap, purple & green Halloween ears, green & red Christmas ears, and Christmas ears with a plaid bow.
- Your favorite Disney song: either the Part of Your World reprise from Little Mermaid, the Bedtime score from Little Mermaid, or Out There from Hunchback
- Favorite park attraction: Soarin’ and PhilharMagic
- Dream job at Disney: either a planner with Fairytale Weddings or a concierge on one of the cruise ships
- Which character do you never want to miss meeting at the park?: I love meeting Gaston! He’s such a fun person to talk to and he makes every interaction memorable. I also really like Chip & Dale.
- What’s your most treasured Disney item?: my cast member nametag and my Duffy bear
- Which Disney voice actor would you most like to meet?: if they could be a person who’s no longer living, then Walt; if they have to be living, then Idina Menzel
- Favorite Disney movie that’s not a classic/famous: I don’t know if this counts but I love Hunchback of Notre Dame and I feel like it’s underrated
- If you could say anything to Walt Disney right now, what would it be?: I hope I made you proud.
- Favorite park snack: Mickey pretzels! Also the blue raspberry slushes they sell at Liberty Square Market
- Favorite parade/show at the parks: Celebrate the Magic and Main Street Electrical Parade, both of which were phased out of WDW 😦
- Flounder, Sebastian, or Scuttle?: Flounder!
- Your favorite Disney memory: finding out I got accepted to the Disney College Program
- Do you have a favorite pair of Mickey ears?: my traditional sequin ones are my favorites!!
- What “forgotten princess” would you add to the lineup?: Giselle from Enchanted
- Your favorite princess dress: Cinderella’s dress from the recent live-action version
- Your favorite Disney soundtrack: definitely The Little Mermaid. I already owned it but bought the legacy collection edition when it came out last year.
- Genie, Abu, Carpet, Iago, or Rajah?: Carpet or Genie, I can’t pick
- Favorite restaurant at the parks?: I’m slightly biased because I love Harbour House with my whole heart. Other than that, Garden Grill in Epcot.
- How did you first discover the magic of Disney?: my parents took me to WDW for the first time when I was six, but my nursery was Winnie the Pooh-themed so it’s always been a part of my life.
- What attraction do you go on first when you get to the parks?: either Peter Pan’s Flight or PhilharMagic, depending on when I get there
- Favorite iconic moment: the carpet ride in Aladdin or the Part of Your World reprise in The Little Mermaid
- What’s the saddest moment for you in any Disney film?: when Eric goes off into the sunset with Vanessa leaving Ariel crying on the dock
- Best Disney kiss: Flynn & Rapunzel hands-down
- If you could live in a world from any Disney movie which would you choose: Motunui from Moana
- Favorite Disney musical sequence based on animation: I See the Light from Tangled
- Which Disney princess has the best sidekicks?: Moana
- If you could have a party themed around any Disney movie which would it be?: Tangled for sure, like the Kingdom Dance scene
- Are you the only one in your family obsessed with Disney?: yeah pretty much. They’ll go to the parks for me but it’s not their top choice for a vacation.
- Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth, or Chip?: Chip
- What are your top 5 favorite Disney blogs on Tumblr?: mine is girlmeetsdisney so that one; animations-daily; dcpdoodles; disneycollective; faith-trust-disney
- If you could choose the plot for the next Disney movie what would it be?: I’m honestly not sure…maybe an Into the Woods-style movie about what happens after happily ever after
- Favorite hotel at the parks: oh god okay so either the Boardwalk, the Polynesian, or the Contemporary. I love the Grand but I’m also perfectly content to just visit without actually staying there.
- Which Disney movie do you turn to when you’re sad/upset?: Lilo & Stitch
- Aladdin show or Little Mermaid show?: Little Mermaid
- Do you plan to have your honeymoon at the Disney parks?: I want a honeymoon on a Disney cruise tbh
- Favorite Disney piece of clothing/accessory to wear?: it’s not explicitly Disney but I bought an Alex & Ani at Disney with an anchor on it, all of my CHH coworkers have one. I also have this white sweater with the trademarks of all 4 parks on it, it’s super comfy and I wear it all the time
- Post a Disney-related picture of yourself:
- Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck: Mickey
- Which Disney movie do you want to see in the next Kingdom Hearts game?: I don’t pay attention to Kingdom Hearts oops
- Which Disney movie will always have a special place in your heart and for what reason?: Hercules, because it took me forever to watch it but once I did I fell in love & “Go the Distance” was my apply-for-the-DCP anthem
Song of the day: Castle on the Hill // Ed Sheeran
- Some days it won’t feel like working for Disney. It’ll just feel like work. This is true no matter how much you love your location or your role.
- You’re going to know the music at your location like you know your own heartbeat. You and your coworkers will make up dances.
- There’s always a place at your location that people go to cry. It’s okay to utilize it.
- There are four 24-hour restaurants near Disney property: Steak & Shake, IHOP, Waffle House, and McDonald’s. You will spend more time at these four places combined than you do at your own apartment.
- CP housing is not fun. You will (you will) want visitors after one AM and will have to move locations. The stove won’t work and the fridge will be too small and the carpets will be stained. It will still be home.
- You might not like your roommates, even if you matched on Facebook. People are rarely really the way they are online. That’s okay because, as previously stated, you’ll rarely be home.
- Your coworkers will be family. You’ll spend 12+ hours with them on holidays, you’ll scream at each other when the stress gets to be too much, you’ll hurt each other’s feelings, and you’ll cry on each other’s shoulders.
- You may get holidays off. Don’t bet money on it, but I was scheduled Thanksgiving off and my friend Skylar was scheduled Christmas off. Sometimes it just kind of happens even if everyone says it won’t.
- Christmas is not the busiest day of the year. New Year’s Eve is.
- Your paychecks will break your heart. This is because they list your earnings before rent and your earnings after. It hurts like hell.
- Disney Look sucks. I’ve never ever wanted to dye my hair but now I’m doing it just to spite Disney Look.
- Guests will probably hit on you. So will some of your coworkers.
- You should buy a bag of black socks before you arrive. They’re $5 at Walmart and they’re (sigh) Disney Look. Laundry day is when you use the last pair.
- It’s better than you can imagine. Whatever you think this is gonna be is wrong, because you can’t prepare for making dozens of new best friends and making incredible memories and inside jokes. There’s nothing you can do to be ready but it’s inevitable.
These goodbyes are crappy but I’m just grateful for these people. Saying see ya real soon has never been so difficult.
Song of the day: I Miss You // blink-182